Custom Search

Monday, May 5, 2008

First Day of Class

Well, I am back home from my first day of Intro to Digital Imaging and I have to say that it was better than I was expecting. I thought for sure it would be completely remedial "This is how you scan a photo"; "This is how you get a photo from a CD", etc. But we jumped right into to Photoshop. We learned a few of the basic tools (nothing you wouldn't find in the Paint application). But we took some images and cropped and layered. It was really great! The teacher Derrick Haynes, was very good at going through things. I think that I picked up on it pretty well and I'm really excited for next week's class. Now all I need is Photoshop C3 so I can practice at home... but of course, its SO expensive!!! I'll have to see what I can do about that. It's fun. Most the class time was him showing us things, but at the end we were given some time to play around. Attached you will see my first Photoshop picture... I didn't have a whole lot of time, and there are some pretty obvious mistakes (some cropping, some size issues) but whatever, here it is none the less.

Things to note about the picture: The crop of Hilary & Barack was mostly cropped using an auto crop and the picture of Curtis and Dimi was done all by my hand. I wanted to ask the teacher how I can use the delete function in small areas where the brush stroke is too big. I'm sure if I had more time to play around with it I would have found a place to adjust that, but alas...

My biggest thing is that I need to be more aggressive in getting the teacher's attention. He tends to focus on students who didn't understand what he was teaching, but I have questions about how to make things look better, etc, trying to learn as much as I possible can. I just need to maybe speak up and schedule time after class to stick around and ask questions once the people who didn't get it are gone. But of course, all I want to do is get home to Curtis and Dimi... so I'm just going to have to remember that there are only 7 classes, 7 weeks, so I think I can put in an extra half hour or so at the end of class.

Stayed tuned to hear all about Thursday's class: Intro to Digital Photography!!!

:) Roon-bop

No comments: